Friday, January 8, 2010

Dental college and life in Jaipur.

after completion of my BDS in just less than 7 yrs, i joined as a tutor in a private dental college in jaipur, India.
the college job paid me just 8000 rupees each month and free accommodation in the college hostel, which in itself was fun. but rs. 8000 was not sufficient for me.
i was thinking of ways and means to increase my income and one option was to join some private clinic in the evening but the college was 20 km away from the city and it was not easy to get a conveyance while returning back in the evenings, sometimes as late as 10 pm.
two place-type friends of mine, who had joined the same college and staying in the same hostel , eventually migrated to the city and left the hostel accommodation!
but the rents were as high as rs.2000, almost a quarter of my salary, so i had to retain the hostel and find some sort of work in the evenings!
slowly and gradually, a year passed away and i could not find a part time evening job that suited me! one gentle man offered me rs. 3000 fixed but he wanted me to work at his clinic till 9 pm. work, i would but then , i have to live in the city and not in the college hostel, 20 km away, i told him.
he promised to help me find a room in the vicinity but the rental was almost equal to what he had offered! whats the use!
then,after completing almost a year in Jaipur, i managed to find a clinic which offered me what i had wanted and i joined that clinic.
the daily routine was like this: lunch in the hostel dining hall at about 1400hrs ,then back to college, which was till 1500 hrs then catch the college bus to city, reach the clinic at around 1600 hrs and work there till 1930hrs, and then reaching back to college at around 2100hrs and have dinner in the room, where somebody used to keep it for me, as the mess was closed by then.
this went on for about a month and one fine day, i came to know about my selection in the Army Dental Corps.
I told both my employers about it and one was happy to relieve me, the other was more than happy for me!
i joined my new job within a fortnight.
i had to join a private clinic in the city to increase my income. the evening

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. During the JDC life, Shadab also had the first taste of living in the hostel. Initially it seemed good, but very soon homesickness gripped him. He used to gather all the Sunday duties from other staff so that he could take off and visit home.

    The stinking journey of Bus No 505 (lal dabba)cannot be forgotten. For every little damn thing we had to travel 22 kilometers to Bari Chaupar in Bus No 505, not to mention the persistent stink.

    Sharmaji's food who was the then in-charge of canteen was a bitter pill to swallow.

    Dim lit dining room of JDC with a malfunctioning TV was the only source of entertainment.

    ReplyDelete